A bit about myself …
I am not sure what to call myself … perhaps most appropriate would be an Indian environmentalist working on development – environment interface, biodiversity policy, and alternatives. Environment and wildlife have been passions since high school in Delhi, when (in 1978-79) I helped found Kalpavriksh, a non-profit organisation in India which deals with environmental and development issues. From that time onwards I’ve been associated with peoples’ movements like Narmada Bachao Andolan and Beej Bachao Andolan. From then till now (late 2022), when I’m helping to coordinate national and global networks like Vikalp Sangam and Global Tapestry of Alternatives, it’s been quite a journey!
Areas of Interest & Experience
I have been studying, vocalising, advocating, networking, and writing on various issues related to environment and development – wildlife and biodiversity, community participation in governance, sustainable livelihoods, ecological crises, and radical alternatives. This website covers my books and articles, engagements and affiliations, art and poetry, since the late 1970s.
- An Assembly of Colourful Hope: The Global Tapestry of Alternatives meets in Kenya
- Mohandas Gandhi habla con Abdullah Öcalan (Spanish version of ‘Mohandas Gandhi Speaks to Abdullah Öcalan)
- Gandhi ile Öcalan’ın diyaloğu (Turkish translation of ‘Mohandas Gandhi speaks to Abdullah Öcalan)
- Mohandas Gandhi speaks to Abdullah Öcalan
- भारत का वैकल्पिक भविष्य: कुछ झलक
- An Alternative India (podcast, and video interview)