I am not sure what to call myself … perhaps most appropriate would be an Indian environmentalist working on development – environment interface, biodiversity policy, and alternatives. Environment and wildlife have been passions since high school in Delhi, when (in 1978-79) I helped found Kalpavriksh, a non-profit organisation in India which deals with environmental and development issues. From that time onwards I’ve been associated with peoples’ movements like Narmada Bachao Andolan and Beej Bachao Andolan. From then till now (late 2022), when I’m helping to coordinate national and global networks like Vikalp Sangam and Global Tapestry of Alternatives, it’s been quite a journey. More at: Bio
Image: A touching moment with a Bonnet macaque baby, Athirapally Falls, Kerala, Nov 2023
Areas of Interest & Experience
I have been studying, vocalising, advocating, networking, and writing on various issues related to environment and development – wildlife and biodiversity, community participation in governance, sustainable livelihoods, ecological crises, and radical alternatives. This website covers my books and articles, engagements and affiliations, art and poetry, since the late 1970s.
- क्या राहुल गांधी की भारत जोड़ो न्याय यात्रा कोई मौलिक बदलाव ला सकती है?
- Can the Bharat Jodo Nyay Yatra act as a Catalyst for Deeper Transformation in our Democracy?
- How Homestays in Zanskar Bridge Culture and Conservation
- A Manifesto for Justice: Solutions to contemporary crises in India
- A Manifesto for Justice that has Sprung from Crises
- Eternity in a Second: Kinship beyond humans